Wednesday 6 August 2014

Various Artists - "Hicks From The Sticks" (Rockburgh ROC 11) 1980

A very influential compilation, compiled by music journalist Des Moines. His aim was to uncover 'talent' in the musical underground of the UK's provinces.There was even an artist on here that scored a number one single, namely Wah! Heat.(see 'story of the Blues' by Wah!).
A lot of this could have been released in the 'noughties' by one of those multitudes of hideous drainpipe and cardigan wearing bands who had parents with record collections with "Hicks from the Sticks" in it.Except that this is the real stuff.
Stand out tracks are Clock DVA "You're Without Sound", Section 25 "After Image" and the brilliant I'm So Hollow's "I Don't Know". 


Track Listing:
1. Airkraft - Move In Rhythm
2. Expelaires - Sympathy (Don't Be Taken In)
3. Clock DVA - You're Without Sound
4. Music For Pleasure - The Human Factor
5. Nightmares In Wax - Shangri-La
6. Ada Wilson & Keeping Dark - Head In The Clouds
7. Modern Eon - Choreography
8. Medium Medium - Them Or Me
9. Radio 5 - True Colours
10. They Must Be Russians - Where Have I Seen You
11. Section 25 - After Image
12. Art Failure - Gimmick
13. I'm So Hollow - I Don't Know
14. Wah! Heat - Hey Disco Joe
15. Stranger Than Fiction - Immortal In Mirrors
16. The Distributors - TV Me


DOWNLOAD some hicks from various northern English conurbations HERE!

3 comments:

Punk Archivist said...

Varied and interesting, cheers Johnny. Now if someone could just rip a decent copy of 'Welcome To Norwich - A Fine City' (not the Mutant Sounds faulty rip) then my life would be complete.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :) Mike

Oliver said...

Rewind 1980. I get out of bed in just my red and white y-fronts and light my first cigarette of the day. I place the needle on this album on the turntable. That first song I know because Peel played it last week and the rest of this comp is a decent listen. Fast-forward 2018 and I am reunited with this album again thanks to another blogger. I decide to make a mix of this album and add four of my own choices to make it a 20-tracker, I;ll upload it on my blog and make it available for download later, cheers - Oliver,